With the holiday's right around the corner, I thought I'd post 2 very good, very easy low fat breakfast ideas and one lovely (not so low fat) drink for us to enjoy.
First up we have a lovely Coffee Cake that is made using a few things plus handy dandy Bisquick mix. Remember you can make it with regular Bisquick (may not be as low fat) or use my trusty Heart Healthy Bisquick:
Dough:
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup water or milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
Topping:
1/3 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease a deep pie plate, 8"x8" square pan, or 9"x9" square pan.
Mix dough ingredients and put in baking dish.
Mix topping ingredients with a fork or pastry mixer until crumbly.
Spread topping mix over dough and drag a butter knife across like you were making a tic-tac-toe board several times.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Easy right?
The next one is for blueberry scones using Bisquick. I've also made them with any dried fruit that I have on hand or left the fruit out and add 1 tsp of cinnamon for cinnamon scones.
Low Fat Scones:
8 servings
1 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest, if available
1/2 cup blueberries
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
Optional glaze
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
In a large bowl, place Bisquick Mix, sugar and blueberries. If you have a fresh lemon, 1 t. lemon zest adds a great flavor boost. Set aside.
In a 1 cup measure, whisk milk and egg together.
Pour liquids into Bisquick bowl and use a fork to mix things together gently. Use a large cookie scoop to portion out 8 dollops of dough onto parchment paper.
Use wet fingers to flatten each scone slightly.
Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges are browning.
Glaze: Mix lemon juice with Confectioners Sugar to achieve a thin consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones.
Now that I'm good and hungry (I'm going to make the scones after I post this, LOL) I leave you with a good recipe for Hot Cocoa:
7 servings
Traditional cocoa mix:
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar (vanilla or normal)
1 pinch salt
Spiced cocoa mix:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Java cocoa mix:
1-2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
Mix all the ingredients in the Traditional cocoa mix.
I give everything a whizz in the food processor to combine well.
Store in an airtight container.
Spiced cocoa mix: To one recipe of the traditional mix, add the spices and mix.
Enjoy a warming spiced cocoa!
Java Cocoa: To one recipe of traditional mix, mix in instant coffee powder.
To make hot cocoa, place 1/4 cup of mix in a mug.
Stir in 1 cup of boiling hot water.
Hot mint Cocoa: Steep one mint tea bag in a cup of hot traditional cocoa.
I hope you all enjoy these time saving yet yummy recipes on what looks to be a very busy weekend for all of us. Take care and remember to take time out to relax and be with family. ^_^
Friday, December 21, 2007
Low Fat Friday
Labels:
Low Fat Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment